Tuesday 21 September 2010

The brakes

Hello everybody here we are again. I have been back out to the van and have sorted the brakes which weren't too bad.
On inspection I discovered that the off side hand brake cable had seized, I realised there was a problem with the hand brake the day after it was dropped off, when the van rolled down the drive and into the garden wall, with me sitting in the back! So I got a replacement but as this was a pattern part, there was a bit of fettling to get it to fit. The problem was that the ball that fits into the union to join the two rear cables was too big so after a few minutes with a small file it all went together well.
With the brake drums off I could see that the linings were all fairly new.

So all they needed was a clean up but the rear o/s wheel cylinder had seized so it was off to the spares shop to order a new one. Also the front o/s had a sticky cylinder that needed a little bit of cleaning before it would move freely but once done it was as good as gold.
With all the drums back on we bled the system through with nice clean fluid and now they feel fine, but the only way to see if they are as good as they feel is when it goes up for the M.O.T.
The next job is going to be the rusty wheel arches, so watch this space!.
Cheers and I'll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment